Tuesday 29 November 2011

Butternut squash ravioli with sage and pine nut butter

Like all foodies, you can never have enough gadgets in the kitchen. (Unless your Mr Blumenthal) So when a good friend bought me a pasta machine for my birthday I was chuffed. Today I thought that I'd test drive it and I'm happy to report that it passed with flying colours of green and orange. Ok, if you're Mr or Mrs Bizzy Whizzy, making you're own pasta may not be on the agenda, but if you have time and a machine give it a go. It's most satisfying and in the case of ravioli you can make your own filling rather that the shop bought ones that mainly taste of very little. I borrowed the recipe from Rachel Allen by the way. http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/629530

The ravioli taste ok on their own, but the sauce really lifts them and the rocket and pine nuts add a few dimensions to the textures too. I actually tinkered with the size of the ravioli as I quite like 4 or 5 large ones rather that lots of little ones. In order to enhance the flavour, next time I think I'll roast the squash off with garlic and sage as I do for a risotto and then mash into a pulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment