Thursday 24 November 2011

Homemade Burger and Chips

I admit, as a child I though McD's was the DB's. I can't remember however the last time that I bought one of those things that look like someone has trodden on, which they pass off as a burger. Nevertheless, I still love the flavour and texture of biting into one and see no reason why kids shouldn't do the same. Making you're own Burger and Chips is so easy and tastes so much better. For a family of four, the cost of the following comes to about £1.50 per person. Please try it and compare to the commercial offerings. I often make these for my kids group and everyone agrees that the homemade version is much better. Instead of normal potatoes I like to make sweet potato wedges which I feel taste and look better and being roasted in the oven are healthier than fries. This
recipe will make 4 Quarter pounders.

Ingredients

500g lean beef mince, beaten egg, 1 chopped onion, tomato ketchup, salt & pepper, optional - horseradish, stilton, burger baps, 2 large sweet potatoes cut into wedges, olive oil

1. Heat oven to 220 / gas mark 7.
2. Cut potatoes into thick wedges, longways, leaving skin on. Toss in olive oil and season. Lay on Baking sheet.
3. Combine mince, onion, egg, seasoning and a good dash of ketchup. This is the base mixture. You can experiment with all sorts of additional flavourings. I like horseradish or a cube of stilton that I wrap the mince around. You could also use chili, coriander etc.
4. Wet your hands to avoid sticking and mould into burgers. I like to chill them for around 20 minutes in the fridge.
5. Meanwhile put the wedges in the oven. They should take 30-40 minutes
6. Heat a griddle until hot and cook burgers for 2 or 3 minutes on either side

That's about it. It's so simple, I feel like I'm insulting people's intelligence, but I guarantee they taste better than anything bought from a shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment