Saturday 23 June 2012

Roast wild duck with blackberry sauce and celeriac purée

I've been fortunate to have visited many of England's top restaurants and if I lie about how well I cooked this dish I might even get a job in one of them! To date I have yet to eat at Le Manoir aux quat saisons which is Raymond Blanc's theatre of gastronomony in Oxfordshire.  Therefore, tonight I though that I'd bring 2 Michelin star dining to Chez Moi which is just so much cheaper anyway!

I have stolen this recipe from the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roastwildduckwithbla_93499 which saves me writing out the long list of ingredients and another page of instructions. In essence, I found the dish quite easy in terms of technique but you do need a plethora of pots, pans and other gadgets which will create a lot of washing up. I used duck breasts which I pan fried skin side down for about 5 minutes before roasting them off in the over for a further 10 minutes. The end product is one of gamey meat offset by a mildly sweet and sour punchy sauce and a light earthy puree that combines various textures and colours. Not actually wishing to challenge Monsieur Blanc, but I kept the puree a little thick just to add a little more substance and used is as the base of the dish.  I served with some green beans and the remaining Merlot which contributed to the sauce. Talking of which, there was some left over which I suspect will work well with some pork and apple sausages during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment