Thursday 14 June 2012

Mushroom and Spinach Pasta

The other day a friend cooked me a pasta carbonara for lunch. Out of courtesy I ate it, but to be honest you could have laid bricks with the sauce. It was gloopy, had no taste and was totally anaemic. I later had a sneaky look in the bin to find a supermarket bought carton of sauce. Call me a snob, I don't care but I never buy pre-made sauces regardless of them being tomato or cream based.

Tonight's supper is so simple, I'm actually loathed to put it on here. However, I just want to prove to people how easy it is to make and the taste and texture is immeasurable to the processed puke we see on the shelves. It literally takes 20 minutes to make from beginning to end, so don't tell me you don't have time! I just throw things in, so I'll have a guess at the quantities. What you are looking for though is a nice smooth sauce, not too thick, but not drowning the pasta either. The cost for 2 people is approx £1.75 pp

Ingredients : 150g Fusilli, 100g sliced chestnut mushrooms, 100g spinach, diced medium onion, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, 100g creme fraiche, 100ml chicken / veg stock, large handful of grated Parmesan, 2tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, seasoning

1. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the pasta.
2. Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms in the olive oil until nicely coloured. Reduce the heat and add the garlic and onion. Fry until soft.
3. Add the creme fraiche and Parmesan and mix thoroughly. Now add enough stock until you get a smooth sauce. Add plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
4. Finally stir in the spinach. It's nice to have a combination of wilted leaves and some still with a little texture. If the sauce becomes sticky, add some more stock.
5. To serve, pile onto a plate and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil. If you're feeling indulgent and want to take this dish to a higher level, drizzle with truffle oil instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment