Sunday 11 March 2012

Roasted figs with cinnamon syrup and rose water yoghurt

I used to like watching Ready Steady Cook where the chefs were given 20 minutes to create a masterpiece from an unknown bag of ingredients and an endless store cupboard. However, when I went to see the programme being filmed, I realised what a charade it all was. In fact after opening the goodie bag, the chefs took about half an hour to decide what to create before the director called "Action."And then to rub Maldon salt in the wounds, the audience weren't even allowed to sample what the 'celebrity' chefs made. Hmph!

Following my trip to the Turkish store in the week, I found myself with an array of ingredients, but no actual idea of what to do with them. So I thought I'd put myself to the test and come up with a dessert. Figs are such an attractive fruit, but they never seem to taste as good as they look. Well this dish as I gladly discovered does them justice and only takes nineteen minutes and fifty nine seconds to make! For two people, the cost is around £2.00 each

Ingredients  : 6 figs, 50g caster sugar, cinnamon stick, 2 tsp rose water, 2 tsp water, handful of hazelnuts, 100g Greek yoghurt, 2 tsp icing sugar, 2 tsp runny honey

1. Heat oven to GM5 / 190c.
2. Place hazelnuts on a baking tray and cook for 10 minutes. Once done, set aside to cool and then roughly chop.
3. In the meantime, cut a cross across the top of each fig. Go half way down. Then squeeze the bottoms so that they open up as per first pic. Place in a roasting tray and bake for 15 minutes.
4. In a pan, heat the sugar, honey, cinnamon and water until you get a smooth syrup.
5. In a small bowl, add the rose water and icing sugar to the yoghurt and mix.
6. To serve, place 3 figs in the centre of a plate. Drizzle the syrup over the top. Add a dollop of the yoghurt mixture and sprinkle with the chopped nuts.


2 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this. Big fan of figs and this looks really tasty. Though very upset to hear about the Ready Steady Cook sham. Bit like discovering that Santa's not reall all over again :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. hydrogen water to

    ReplyDelete