Ingredients : 2*200g fillets of cod (other meaty white fish), tsp cinnamon, seasoning, tbs vegetable oil, 2 smashed garlic cloves, 2 tbsp fish sauce, 125ml water, 2 star anise, cinnamon stick, 3cm piece of ginger peeled and shredded, 25g caster sugar.
1. Heat oven to 180/gm 4. For the sauce mix together the garlic, fish sauce, water, star anise, cinnamon and ginger.
2. Pat dry the fish with kitchen roll and sprinkle with ground cinnamon and seasoning on both sides.
3. Gently fry the fillets in the oil for a minute or two either side and add to tagine / clay pot.
4. In a pan make a caramel by gently dissolving the sugar. Once syrupy, add the sauce. At this point, the sugar may set and become brittle. Continue to heat and it will soon blend into sauce. Cook till syrupy again.
5. Pour sauce over fish and bake for 10-12 minutes.